I find that the best remedy to support pregnancy is a constitutional remedy given regularly. This means a homeopathic medicine individually tailored to the pregnant woman, to how she feels and her life situation. An appointment at the beginning of the pregnancy enables the homeopath to find the most appropriate remedy that will provide the most support as the pregnancy develops.
Here are some common remedies that can help with typical complaints that may arise during pregnancy
Remedies for nausea and vomiting
- Sepia is indicated in women who feel exhausted by mothering/ pregnancy. Intermittent nausea with an empty feeling. Desire for vinegar and pickles. Face is pale. Foods smells can be overwhelming. She wants to be left alone.
- Tabaccum: deathly nausea and violent vomiting. Worse after breakfast or with movement. The vomiting leaves her feeling exhausted. Feels better for fresh air.
- Nux vomica: constant nausea and salivation. She feels irritable and critical of others. She can feel frustrated at not being able to achieve as much as usual. Impatient, just wants to be able to get on with things. Worse in the morning, after breakfast and lying down. She can feel faint with the nausea.
- Asarum: Constant, violent nausea. Vomiting. Feels depressed, slow and apathetic. Noises and slight pains become very annoying.
Hemorrhoids can be avoided or kept to a minimum by squatting when you go to the toilet. The best way to do this is to have a low bench in front of the toilet to raise your feet up onto and to lean forward so that your belly is between your legs.
If you do start to notice a hemorrhoids developing, half a glass of aloe vera juice daily will help. For external hemorrhoids, hamamelis cream works wonders. The following homeopathic remedies are indicated:
- Aesculus hip – Helps painful hemorrhoids accompanied by sharp shooting pain up the back.
- Hamamelis – Relieves very painful hemorrhoids that are greatly aggravated by constipation and hard stools.
- Lachesis – Bleeding, protruding hemorrhoids.
- Sepia – Relieves hemorrhoids that have a ball-like sensation and often result from constipation.
Mood swings, insecurities, fears, ambivalence, impatience, and anger are all likely to surface during your pregnancy . Hormonal surges can cause your emotions to fluctuate wildly, along with fears about health, birth, new responsibilities, loss of pre-baby freedom or how the new baby will affect your older children. It’s advisable to consult a homeopath to help with the complex emotions that come up during pregnancy as this is beyond the scope of self-prescribing.
Choose the remedy that best suits your symptoms and take in a 30c as needed, up to 4 times a day. (If you are undergoing homeopathic treatment, please consult your homeopath before taking a remedy). If your symptoms do not improve within 24 hours, contact a healthcare professional.